Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Sora's Quest by T. L. Shreffler


Sora Fallcrest always dreamed of adventure, but as a member of the nobility, she learned the ways of a Lady instead. Now seventeen, she is expected to choose a husband and marry. She plots to run away, but just as she is stepping out the door, she runs into a mysterious man--and is kidnapped.

Abducted from her manor, Sora is plunged into a world of magical races, arcane jewelry and forgotten lore. She finds herself at the mercy of a dangerous assassin, haunted by an even darker past. She yearns for freedom, but he won't let her go--not when her Cat's Eye necklace is the only thing that can save his life.
But the necklace itself presents a problem. It is an ancient device from the long forgotten War of the Races, and its magic has the ability to steal souls. Can Sora learn to wield its power -- or will the power wield her? 


Hello hello! I thought I would post another book review for you guys here. I have been reading so many good books recently so be prepared for a storm of reviews. Today, I'm reviewing Sora's Quest by T. L. Shreffler. I found this book on the Kobo store for free and thought I'd give it a read as it sounded interesting. For anyone wondering, yes, this book is free in all ebook online stores. Boy was that an understatement! This book is incredible. I read through it so quickly that I was sad it ended (always a sign that you've just finished a good book).

First off, the characters are amazing. They're so well fleshed out that they feel like real people you could connect with. I really liked Sora and Dorian, and I also really liked Burn. He just seemed like a big teddy bear. Crash is also a very interesting character. He's dark, but also has a soft side which is shown at the end. These characters become like friends, they're that great. Even Volcrian, the antagonist, is relatable. I really liked the Preface, so that we can understand his motives a little better.

AND THAT ENDING. I love how the love story wasn't the focus of the plot, but rather a subplot. Sora's quest was the main focus, and her development and connection with the cat's eye necklace. I found this so refreshing. Sometimes a love story can just take over and it can be so annoying. This was more a friendship-type beginning. You can see the beginning of a romance, but it's not blatant. It's nice and subtle. Sora's relationship with all the characters is very important, and I feel like this sets up the rest of the series with a really good set of characters with really good relationships.

I liked how facts were kind of revealed as the story went on. The backstory of Burn, Dorian, and Crash is slowly revealed to the reader, not blatant or right at the beginning. It was like you were learning things as Sora found them out so you weren't being hit over the head with dramatic irony every page. I cannot wait to get a hold of the next book, Viper's Creed.

Have you guys read Sora's Quest? What do you think of ebooks vs. hard copies? Let me know in the comments below!

Quote of the day: "I'm not fooled, assassin. You may think you are removed from us - that you have come to terms with your own mortality - but I still had to drag Sora out of your arms." - T. L. Shreffler