Monday, 29 December 2014

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Time for another book review! I haven't been reading too many books for fun what with school texts and novels taking up most of my time, but over the Christmas holidays I like to read something fun so I don't go insane.

On Boxing Day I hit up Chapters, hard. I bought $90 worth of books, which is probably the most I've spent on books at one time. One of the books I bought was The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. When I was younger I read the Percy Jackson and the Olypians series so I'm familiar with Camp Half-Blood, the gods, and Percy and Annabeth. I like how this series, The Heroes of Olympus, is geared to an older age group. It's a great way for readers of the first series to carry on their love for the characters.

Of course, the characters are fabulous. I love how well rounded every single one of the characters is. Percy and Jason admit that they have faults and aren't perfect, which is what you want every demigod  hero to admit. I liked how this one focused a little more on Annabeth. She's proba
bly one of my favourite characters (after Percy). She's such a great strong female heroine, like Piper and Hazel.

It's also great to see the characters work in a much more team-related setting. There's no set leader and seeing the characters learning to work together is really satisfying.

The plot had me hooked to the very end. I found I could pick it up and put it down easily enough, but once I got to the halfway mark I had to keep reading. The ending was so intense! It's a huuuuuuuge cliffhanger, so now I really want the next book in the series, but that's when you know you have a good book.

I also liked how the plot shifted from America to Europe. It's great to see how these actions are affecting the whole planet, rather than just one country. I find that some stories, of various mediums, can get stuck in one place (such as USA). It's good to see a nice wide view of the consequences of their actions, good and bad.

Riordan doesn't disappoint and I'm excited to read more of his books in the future.

Quote of the day: "We're staying together," he promised. "You're not getting away from me. Never again." - Rick Riordan