Monday, 3 March 2014

DIY Exfoliating Face Mask

This is my first beauty DIY post! I discovered this face mask a few summers ago on College Fashion (here's the original post). It only has three ingredients and is probably the best thing I have ever discovered for my skin. I will warn you though, it can be pretty abrasive so if you have sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend this for you. You should always test things like this on a small patch of skin anyway to see how you'll react to the ingredients, but if you don't have sensitive skin and aren't allergic to the ingredients, chances are this mask will be fine for you.


The three ingredients are cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. These ingredients should be lying around the house and, if not, they're cheap to buy. All you need is 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg each and 1 tablespoon of honey. The original mask calls for 1 teaspoon of the spices and 2 tablespoons of honey, but I find that makes too much and ends up getting dumped down the sink when I'm done. Here I accidentally did 1 teaspoon and I found I had way too much.














Combine your three ingredients in a small bowl with a spoon until the spices are no longer dry. You can add some more honey if you need to. It should form a thick paste.


Once that's done just apply it to your face and leave it on for thirty minutes. When your thirty minutes are up rinse off with warm water. Here is where you need to be a bit careful because, as I said earlier, this can be a pretty abrasive mask. I like to rinse it off by rubbing it off in circular motions. That way my skin is getting exfoliated well.


Once that's done I use my regular toner and moisturise like there's no tomorrow! Also, make sure to use this mask on clean skin. It should go without saying that you use any mask on skin that has already been washed with a cleanser.


This mask is great because the honey and nutmeg act as anti-inflammatories, reducing redness and swelling in the skin. They also help with acne scars, which is great if you've just recently had a breakout or are dealing with previous acne scarring. The cinnamon and nutmeg are also great exfoliators.

And that's it! I like to use this mask at least once a week to get rid of dead skin and keep my skin smooth. I don't think I would use it more often than that simply because it's pretty intense. Let me know if you try it and what you think about it in the comments.

Quote of the day: You know how sometimes you lie in bed at night and think, "What if the law of gravity just wears out and lets go and I drift into space?" Does that ever make you anxious? - Elaine May