Friday, 17 August 2012

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was a really interesting novel. It only focused on Tom Sawyer is a boy and there was essentially no 'real' plot to it. By no 'real' plot I mean that of course there was plot in that Tom's story is a story but that it doesn't seem as though there is a plot, if you understand what I'm saying. The novel didn't focus on Tom's transition from childhood to adulthood, from being some crazy Southern child to someone more sophisticated. It is simply about a boy being a boy and what comes of it. The characters were all really interesting, with Tom interacting in different ways with each of them. They were all very realistic, not a one being perfect (since no human is). The 'plot' had no holes in it that I could discern. I really liked the conclusion of the story as well. While reading the book I had thought that that would be the way that it would end, but wasn't totally sure. There were so many mini plots that took place that I was never totally sure which was the overall plot and which was simply an event that occurred before the actual conclusion. I also really enjoyed how Tom was best friends with Huckleberry Finn, even though everyone and their mother forbade their children to even look at him. Tom was really kind to Huck and Huck was really not a bad character. Overall I was really impressed with this story and will definitely look into the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I really recommend this. It's a book that isn't just meant for children or adults, it's a very universal tale. There was the correct amount of humour and seriousness, without either one being over done. I really enjoyed this book and am very happy I read it.

Quote of the day: Tom's whole being applauded this idea. It was deep, and dark, and awful; the hour, the circumstances, the surroundings, were in keeping with it. - Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer